Monday, June 29, 2015

... on being a crowd-funding artist




I am just over two weeks into Crowd funding campaign to raise funds to publish Into the Light. 40% raised. Thank you!

It has been a journey of excitement, apprehension, kindness from friends and strangers. Well wishes and nerve wrecking daily checking if I am getting anywhere near reaching the target. Either way, Into the Light will be published, preferably through ‘crowd funding’, alternatively through a loan from the credit union.

Of course there was a lot of time spend on this adventures weeks before the launch of the campaign. What to put up as rewards, updating website, where to put what information, video to make, which media routes to take, filling in the Fund It application... Media man Brendan did most of this, but I had to be, and was, involved in every step along the way.
I had totally underestimated the amount of work involved, and how it all would affect my wellbeing. I was a ‘little’ overwhelmed by it all, but slowly finding my feet and trust again.

And there is the other ‘issue’ of putting yourself out there with one’s work. It can be a very vulnerable position to be in. I create for myself - for my own ‘sanity’ in a way  - a reason to get up for in the morning. What others think of it is secondary.

Into the Light book in a box © Corina Duyn 2015 
My usual creative route is to make whatever I am making. May it be my sculptures, my tapestries, or books. I might write a little about it on my blog, but the real thing, the finished work, only makes it way ‘out there’ when I am finished with it. The journey of creation is finished. It is ready to be ‘born’ and to take its place in the world.
This time round, my project is ‘out there’ while still on its creative journey.
The book is very close to completion. I have just a few pages to edit. The boxes have been designed and are ready to be made. The printer and printing paper have been decided upon.

Is it more vulnerable to be out there with an almost finished product than with a finished one? Perhaps not. There is always that stage of vulnerability about your work. Do others like it, will they love it, will they understand it, will it only be of use to myself…?
But then, I think back on all the amazing kindness and support I have received along this two-year adventure. And the many years before that of living, reading, note taking, thinking and creating. But two years from the very first mind-map about Into the Light, during a residency at Annaghmakerrig.

sample page from Into the Light © Corina Duyn 2015
The writing has seen many an incarnation along the way. Many! (see previous 'Into the Light' blogs)
They changed from long essays to these short observations now in the book. Some of the changes were dictated by my physical wellbeing which had deteriorated a little along the way. I became unable to write for longer than 20 minutes on the computer. Writing essays, broken up in short writing sessions does not really work.
I was close to giving up on the project, but a stay at Dechen Shying Care Centre at Dzogchen Beara centre in West Cork last summer, made me realize, again, that fewer words could tell a much clearer story. Prayer flags bellowing over the courtyards, made me think of short observations on loose sheets. This way I became able to work on one sheet at the time. The task suddenly was less daunting. It became manageable. And FUN! And was a way to use my art as illustrations, as well as many of the nature photographs so dear to me.

One year on, and I find myself on the next junction of my journey, inviting the public to join me. Inviting them to help me to bring the book ‘into the light’ as it were. To bring the story of life’s challenges, out of the darkness. My story was shared on radio programs, and in newspapers. All a little scary! Maybe ‘little’ is an understatement…?

Into the Light is out there, because of the goodness I have received along the way, from friends, organizations, family, and strangers only know to me because of the power of the Internet, and as a result of this project.


My heart felt thanks to you all!

Corina


Of course, if you’d like to join me and others on this adventure, please see my web-page  or crowd funding page: fundit.ie


No comments: