Thursday, December 29, 2016

Robert Cat was my companion during illness

It is with great sadness to have to say goodbye to Robert Cat
my Companion and Teacher
Robert  (?) May 2007-  28 December 2016

For the past nine and a half years
Robert Cat has been my companion

He seem to understand when I was unwell
and in need of compassion


He has been my teacher
 to take life easy

and to hide from the world
when life is too hard


We shared a simple daily routine
and during our recent walks 
he would be concerned for my well being


He was a supervisor
and admirer
of my creative work






page from Into the Light by Corina Duyn, photo of cat and sculpture on fish
page From Into the Light


Robert was the inspiration
 for many of my stories

As he was always with me on my walks 
during the writing of the Cirrus Chronicles (2008)
he became one of the characters in it 

sample page of Cirrus chronicles with image of a cat
Page from Cirrus Chronicles with Robert Cat 

In 2011 I created Flying on Little Wings
and Robert was in there too,
warning the birds about danger.

Robert
with all of his 7 kg
was a great lover of FOOD!

This was his daily pose to alarm me
that it would be dinner time soon
It always brought a smile to my face


I will miss the
"I am going to die if I don't eat in the next second"
kind of cry by the sound of opening a tin of tuna


And the ...
'please, please, please'
when opening the fridge
to take out a tub of yoghurt (see short video)

...........

I am deeply saddened that he is gone
but privileged to have had his company

And to have shared his existence
with so many of you

He used to receive Christmas cards
just in his name...
and throughout his life had cyber cuddles 
from as far away as Australia


I have no idea how I will deal with the silence he leaves behind
How I won't listen out for him to come in my bedroom window
How I don't look for him in my garden,
and how birdwatching will be on my own now

How, when I go for an afternoon nap,
that he won't be there to cuddle up under the blanket.
(only at that time of the day- never any other)

How his/our unbroken routine
will be continued without him

So many memories
so many thoughts

We buried him this morning
in the front garden
in his favorite spot
Surrounded by six humans and one cat
we said farewell

Thank you all of you who were part of his life

May he rest easily


3 comments:

Therese Doherty said...

This has made me cry. A lovely tribute to a lovely friend. Go gently, Robert.

Corina Duyn said...

Dear friends.
Thank you ALL so much for messages of kindness, of understanding, of love, here on my blog, on Facebook, emails, text messages, and phonecalls, post cards, and personal hugs.

My heart is filled with gratitude.
Corina
And Robert!

Holy Way said...

What beautiful words and memories. Gorgeous photographs! It is always so hard when a beloved companion leaves us. Much love.x