Sunday, July 2, 2017

The root of sorrow is craving, but there is always hope to see the bigger picture

The root of sorrow is craving.

Antony de Mello - Awareness 

potbound Aloe Vera

Three weeks of recovery from the 'hospital-Holland-marathon', and I seem to be finally completing the road to re-connect with the person that I thought was me.  Both the hospital and travel had a rather big impact on my mind. On my beliefs. On my physical, but also mental well being.
I became aware of a sense of loss. I realize that the sorrow, the sense of loss, were based on what I perceive I do not have.

"Ghosts of lives you might have lived ... If not becoming ill ..."
Hilary Mantell. Learning to talk.


I wanted to be like my siblings, who are walking, cycling, working, able to stay up late and rely on their working brain, be sociable, and not having to go to bed at the same time as the 4-years-olds... I became much more aware of my life with illness.  Of course they have their challenges too. Everybody has. I just needed a little time to make sense of it all again. To put 'everything' back into perspective. I needed to hope again. And to see the bigger picture.


"Waiting with a resilience of spirit, in the certain knowledge that, 
if we wait long enough and if we are true to ourselves 
then things will make sense, is waiting in hope."
Sister Stanislaus Kennedy. Gardening the Soul 


The happiest place I could be these past few weeks was in my garden. Touching the earth. Grounding myself. Clearing, re-arranging my garden and my thoughts.

"If we lose touch with our sources, we are in danger of losing hope. 
That is why it is so important to stay close to nature, to listen to the trees and flowers, 
potatoes and hedges, shrubs and bulbs grow in silence.”
Sister Stanislaus Kennedy. Gardening the Soul 


Although yesterday was mainly spend recovering from outstaying the welcome in my garden the day before (weeds are more difficult to remove from gravel than it is from soil... trust me... ) I also had the great fortune to have a lovely meeting with an other creative being.

A creative meeting about possibilities for my work. Where to go from here.
To see the bigger picture of years of creating, and learning. A meeting in which minds were aligned, and experienced support, from a clear, open and honest mind. A chat which gave me hope and direction, and in which I saw my work through someone else's eyes and experiences. It also brought a possible new meaning of the project I have been working on for over a year. I am so glad I did not cancel that meeting because of the challnges of my body that day!

small figure in cocoon, sculpture by ME/CFS artist Corina Duyn
Life-Dance - work in progress

I might not be able to walk much, or cycle, or stay up late, or garden to my heart's content, but I have hope. Hope with a capital H. Which is ultimately linked with Trust.
Trust that all is well. And that I can see the biger picture of my life as it is.

I am grateful to have spend so much time in my garden these past few weeks. To reconnect with nature, with Mother Earth.
And to have taken the time at making sense of own little world again.
To observe what I value most. And... where I don't want to be. And where I can possibly go from here. To have reconnected - even it is just through talking about- and not quite doing- with my creative life.

Grateful to have taken time to reconnect with me again, not just with the capital letters M.E.


I truly hope that you, my dear readers, are well. 
And are finding hope, with a capital H, in your lives.
Thank you so much for your continued interest in my musing.
Be well.

3 comments:

Aran Edmonds said...

Lovely words Corina and for giving Hope!

Therese Doherty said...

Thank you for sharing this, Corina. The vulnerabilities and sorrows of illness can be hard to bear, but you do so with so much wisdom—much more than me! I'm in awe of who you are and what you have achieved. May your garden continue to ground you and fill you with life. x

Corina Duyn said...

Thank you so mcuh Aran and Therese, for your kind words.

The wisdom is hard fought and found. I truly belief in the healing powers of nature and creativity. But also the value of stillness. To observe and take in th elessons to be learned.
Vulnerablity is hard, but I hope that by sharing a little of in form my own expereince that others are ok with feeling and acknowledging their own.
Never easy.

much love to you both.