Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Keep circling until you run out of fuel...

On the last day of my planned 5-day-hospital stay in May, my neurologist gave me the analogy of 'airport landing slots'  in terms of getting the requested MRI done. If you miss your slot, you just ahve to keep 'circling'.

lone seagull in white sky
keep circling until you run out of fuel
At the time of discharge, I was told that I would be getting an outpatient appointment for this MRI, and be seen by the neurologist in 6 weeks time to discuss any of the findings from my stay and tests.
Of course, this is daft (as I wrote in that same post): "... It blows my mind that one is given an inpatient stay because it is so hard to get tests done via outpatients. And then you're an inpatient, hugging a bed for 5 days, they ask you to come back as an outpatient ..."

But what choice do you really have?
None.
Other than speak up, or take back control.

I was patiently waiting for these appointment to arrive.
I did get an appointment to see the neurologist in July.
I also got an appointment for a Nerve Conduction Test ... which was already done while in hospital...

As I did not get an appointment yet for the MRI, I rang the neurologist secretary again. Friday, and yesterday.

The telephone conversation brought me close to tears. 
Tears of utter disbelief.
Tears of anger.
Tears of having to deal with an incompetent "health" system. 

I was let to belief that I made up the MRI request...
There was no mention of an MRI request in the discharge notes, according the secretary.
So I must be wrong.

I know she is only reading the notes. She did not treat me while in hospital.
But somebody screwed up. Somewhere along the line.
OR
I am a writer of great fiction, instead of non-fiction, and I made up the stories I wrote about my 5-day-stay. See links to these at bottom of this page.

I told her of the neurologist and his team's attempts to get this scan done; their responses to the waiting times; the nurses constant ringing the MRI department; the requested needle (not being) in my arm, the physio in the community reading the letter from the hospital, which included a note about the upcoming MRI... etc. etc.

I am so utterly done with dealing with a sick "health" system,

They make me sick.
They make me depressed.
And then they have 'won', as they can say that I am ill because I am depressed...

So, will I keep circling- until I run out of fuel * and crash - to get this MRI?
Or will I safely land in a world which I know and understand, and stay put in my garden, in my house, in my studio and with people who do understand me, and support me...

I was ready to cancel any upcoming hospital appointments, and live the way I feel is best for me. Trust me, this does not involve hospitals...

Had an appointment my GP this morning (was already booked before yesterday's frustration).

She was appalled at the (non) treatment. Of wasting my time. Their time. And tax-payers money (to have me read books for 5 days). But unfortunately these incoherent hospital antics are NOT uncommon. She spends a great deal of her time chasing hospital consultants, and organizing appointments for tests. Which should have been done/organised by the hospitals.

Infuriating.
She is making her annoyance known to the neurologist, by phone, and if no luck there, by letter.
She did advise me to get the MRI. Just to be sure.
And reassured me that I am no where near being depressed... 
Angry? Yes. Upset? Yes. But not depressed.
At the anology of "keep flying until you run out of fuel...", she responded: 'until you end up in A&E, and then you get tests done very quickly as they want you out of A&E!

Incidentally: The word Patient:

noun
a person receiving or registered to receive medical treatment.
  1.                        synonyms:sick person, casesufferervictim
adjective
  1. able to accept or tolerate delays, problems, or suffering without becoming annoyed or anxious.

    synonyms:forbearinguncomplainingtolerantlong-sufferingresignedstoical

Do I need to say more?



Hospital stories:

* Thanks Joan B for the title!

No comments: